Sheldon High School's Biotech Academy prepares students for both post-secondary education and employment in the current and emerging high-growth science careers labor market. This academy is tailored to meet the needs of all students by combining ongoing and direct contact with local and regional industries, blending academic instruction and meaningful on-the-job experience. Through the direction and support from business/industries, the Biotech Academy will provide a powerful school-to-career educational experience for youth interested in science related occupations.
General Academy Requirements:
(Must complete all requirements to earn cord at graduation.)
1. 70 credits from academy courses
- 10 credits per course = 7 courses
- 4 core courses, 3 academy electives
2. “B” or better in all academy core classes
- re-take, before moving on, if earn lower than a C
3. 3.00 overall GPA, 2.5 session GPA
4. Community Service
- 20 hours freshman year, 20 hours sophomore year, 25 hours junior year and 25 hours senior year
- Meet school requirement, turn in hours to data processor in main office.
5. 70% attendance at Biotech Club meetings yearly
- monthly on first Tuesday of month, after school (must be prompt and stay for entire meeting)
- informational/make-up meeting on first Wednesday of month, 9:15 am (must be in attendance no later than 9:15 am)
- Academy activities include participation in field trips, guest speakers, conferences, fund raisers, tutoring, blood drive, presentations, community outreach, etc.
- Because of the abundant opportunities to fulfill the activity requirement, the BTA is increasing the activity participation requirement. It will be phased in over the next three years according to the following schedule:
Members of the Class of 2012 require 20 total activities
Members of the Class of 2013 and beyond based on a points earned system
7. 95% school attendance rate yearly (including excused and unexcused tardies and absence)
Academy students will be enrolled in designated BTA sections of English, Social Studies and Science. Placement in these BTA-pure classes takes priority over enrollment in elective classes if a conflict occurs.
Students take ALL four courses listed below. These courses are sequential and should be taken in this order during the appropriate year.
Freshman: Biotech I
Sophomore: Biotech II
Junior: Microbiology (SHS), including Bioinformatics (ARC)
Senior: Molecular Biotechnology (SHS) including Biotech and Society (ARC)
Academy Elective Courses:
Students must take three from the list below. These courses are usually taken (one each) during the sophomore, junior, and senior year.
Chemistry (sophomores, juniors, seniors)
AP Chemistry (sophomores, juniors, seniors)
Criminalistics (juniors, seniors)
Ecology (juniors, seniors)
Lab Tech. (sophomores, juniors, seniors)
Physics (juniors, seniors)/AP Physics (juniors, seniors)
Physiology (juniors, seniors)