Community Service is a way of learning through experiences. Through Community Service students gain and apply academic, career, and social skills by addressing authentic community needs. Students at Sheldon High School are required to take part in community service. Students in 9th and 10th grade are required to complete 20 hours, and 11th and 12th grade students are required to complete 25 hours in their junior and senior years at Sheldon High School. Special recognition will be given to students on their transcripts and at graduation.
Community Service may begin in June and continue to accumulate until one week before the end of school.
1. The student will have full responsibility to turn in documentation for service time.
2. Community Service will be in addition to but not including payment, school credits, and should not be during school hours.
3. Verification of Community Service must be turned in one week before the end of school for freshmen, sophomores and juniors. Seniors must meet a special earlier deadline to qualify for graduation recognition.
4. Credit for community service will only be approved for the current year - June to June.
5. Graduation recognition will be for timely completion of four years of community service.